Monday, June 6, 2011

La Iglesia . .


I've heard some say that there is a church on every corner in Utah. Next time I hear that, I'll ask, "Have you been to Europe?"

I have visited many churches during the six weeks that I've been here so far. The churches are ancient and represent much of the history and culture of worship that once saturated this land and the lives of it's people. Now it seems they are crowded with tourists, photography and admission prices.

The churches are ornate and detailed to say the least. Everything about them is massive, and even suffocating. The style and custom craftsmanship represents work and dedication to God. I am always impressed by every carefully built square inch of the buildings.

On Sundays I attend The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I leave my house at nine a.m. and return home at three p.m. During that time I walk, ride a train, and walk some more, attend a sacrament meeting, teach a sunday school class, attend a priesthood meeting, walk, ride a train, and walk some more.

When I started attending the Clapham Common Ward six weeks ago I knew exactly what the meetings would be like, but I didn't know how much I would learn from other church members and especially from those I teach in the gospel principles class.

They are amazing.


3 comments:

emilymcb said...

I was in the Clapham Common ward, too! Oh how I miss my study abroad.

Anna Marie said...

Scott, I love this post. Especially your joke about the number of churches in Utah!

Char@The Starter Home said...

What an amazing experience! One of my favorite parts of living outside of Utah is going to a new ward and learning from the people there.