Saturday, June 4, 2011

City of bikes . .

In many parts of Cambridge you can't drive - it's bikes only. I can't explain to you how many bikes there are. It was nuts. Okay fine, I'll try to explain. I was leaning up against a fence and a man riding his bike gave me the "you are wasting a perfectly good bike parking spot" and I was. I took a hint and told him I'd move. He verbally agreed that it was a good idea and I nodded in agreement. Provo parking flashbacks followed.

Spending the day in Cambridge was a delight. We went on a tour of Pennbrook College, King's College (where we ran into the Brother and Sister Tanner, yeah, the prominent Mormon folk), visited the Christopher Wren Library, went punting in the river behind the colleges and attended evensong at King's College Chapel.

I really wanted to eat at the Cambridge cafeteria. I was obsessed with doing it, obsessed enough to ask a Cambridge student to take me. Thank you Artes! My friend Alison joined Artes and I and it was a feast of food and people watching. Like all schools they have jocks, geeks, preps and mean girls.

Beyond the cafeteria, they also have the option to attend a formal dinner after evensong, which is also done every night. I love their traditions and the community it creates. The formal dinner is candlelit, robes are worn and waiters serve dinner. I had to peek in and it was 100% Harry Potter style.

I'd go every night.

Oh, and did I mention that there are bikes everywhere?


No comments: