Saturday, October 30, 2010

#17 Old Town, Alexandria . .



#17 Tour Old Town Alexandria . .

Last Saturday night I went on a ghost tour of Old Town Alexandria. I knew I would love it for a couple of reasons. First of all, the tour guide was wearing a kilt and had a Santa Clause beard. I'm sure ghost tour guide is just one of his many seasonal jobs. Second, he told us within the first three minutes that he is the chairman and founder of the D.C. Paranormal Society. Boy were we in for a treat.

The tour was beyond entertaining and I learned more about the history of Old Town Alexandria than I thought I would. George Washington had a house there. He called it his "town house." He coined that term. Just another reason to love George.

In days gone by, everyone who had an eligible daughter would paint their door a periwinkle color to solicit dating opportunies. If only it were that easy now. To this day, the city issues a mandate to one home in the city to paint their door a periwinkle color for one year. I love that. I'm not above using a little force to make things happen.


2 comments:

Ashley said...

It is a sweet jacket.. and you can borrow it any time you want. An old guy Kyle was selling to gave it to him... oh the sweet rewards of old american insurance :)

Lola said...

Genius. I am totally painting my door periwinkle.