Sunday, May 15, 2011

Chills, the good kind . .



Lion King the musical was a creative explosion. Yes, an explosion. I was overwhelmed and moved. The costumes, the singing, the dancing and the feeling created gave me chills song after song.

A few days later I went to the Victoria and Albert Museum and found costumes from the show in their theater exhibit. Once again, chills. This time it was the mask, the beads, the fabric and the elegance. Seeing them up close was a whole new experience.

For my art class I have to sketch two pieces of art in every museum we visit in London. I sketched these costumes. As I sketched, I got to know every inch of the costume. And now I can say with more surety than I ever wanted that costume designer Julie Taymor knew exactly what she was doing and she did it well.

Brilliance, pure brilliance.


No comments: