Wednesday, April 6, 2011

We’re horse people, promise . .


This past weekend we had to put Fiddle down. We were all sad to lose another horse and I sincerely think my dad was deep in mourning. He lost several thousand dollars, but more than anything, he lost a dear friend.

My friend, Casey, wrote this poem in memory of Fiddle.

“You have lost a dear friend,
In Fiddle your horse, his life did end.
He followed the path of other horses
on the Christofferson Place,
And now he’s in a deep hole with
dirt covering his face.
No longer can the family jump onto
his back and fly.
For Fiddle is now chasing
white calves in the sky!”

*Note: Fiddle was a girl. And I’ll explain the white calf thing sometime.

After conference on Sunday we sat around and talked about all of our horse memories – the good and the bad.

This is a list of the horses that have passed away under our care.

Disclaimer: I just want you to know that we didn’t name any of them ourselves.

• The horse that lost an eye (none of us could remember his name, sad but true).

• Chips

• Buzz Saw

• Trail Buster

• Rosy

• Two Bay

• Funny

• Annie

• Buck

• Cody

• And most recently, Fiddle.

We enjoyed basking in the memories of our long lost friends, but after the list was made my dad sighed and said, “Next time I’m getting a mountain bike.”

3 comments:

Grace said...

love love love this, really funny and sorry about Fiddle:(

Ashley said...

What a perfect tribute to fiddle and the other horses. Job well done on the poem. It was perfect.

Anonymous said...

Ahahahahahahahahah.....I am laughing at Keith's comment not on fiddle's death. Yes, I know that in the years I have been in the christofferson family we have not had very good luck with the horses. I wish we could've been there to share in the memories. Very nice tribute......I was once told that the Christofferson Field was heaven on earth for horses......maybe it helps prepare them for death.....unfortunately for us. I think instead of a bike we should just get a pool .... I can think of the perfect place....